Thursday, June 4, 2009

Communication Device

Without voice would I be able to speak? I feel that I communicate fairly well and efficiently, but could I make my feeling known with just body language and touch. Words are powerful, they can be used for hurt and for pleasure. I see and hear people communicating every day and I feel that words are used to often for negativity. So, would I do more good or harm with my words if I truly realized the impact of my words on others. Anyone that knows me knows I like to talk. I enjoy the freedom we have to openly share how we feel about anything. Words are powerful. I think that too often we pass up the opportunity to communicate in ways other than with words.

Body language is one of the sometimes unconscious ways that we communicate. I recently spent an entire evening noticing the body language of myself and another person. A lot can be said in a simple gesture or look, it can say "I am uncomfortable", or it can say "I feel at home here". In the time I spent watching the affects of body language I learned that it is to powerful. Body language can stimulate feeling and make moments in life have meaning and a certain intensity that its not stimulated other wise.

Touch is communicating but at a different level. Touch is sometimes a way to say things that words can not fathom. times that I have felt more in touch than I could have in words have been many. I remember one time in particular that the touch of a person whom I loved very much was a feeling of closure and moving on unlike words could have even portrayed. The last touch of life can be one that you feel long after that life has expired. I will always remember the last time I had the honor of touching my Grandmother. I was not alone in the room but the moment was mine alone and it created a great feeling of love and the honor of being her grand daughter.
I have been moved countless times by touch. the touch of a friend, the touch of a lover, the touch of a stranger. some are gentle and others intense. Touch is powerful.

All of these are ways to communicate, but as much as I like the others I have a special liking for voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment